[Sidefx-houdini-list] poses and animation clips

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Mon Apr 29 11:36:00 EDT 2013

There are a few options:

1) Make sure all the channels you want to copy and paste are scoped. Channel groups and lists are probably the best way to ensure this. (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1859&Itemid=257). In the Timeline, press shift-LMB to select the region you want to select from. RMB-click in the timeline and select Copy. Go to your second rig and make sure all the channels are scoped. You may need to set a single keyframe on all the channels to ensure this. RMB-click in the timeline and select Paste. This can feel a bit like a leap of faith but it does work and may take a while if you have lots of keys and lots of channels.

2) Set up channel groups for the channels you want to copy and paste. With all the animated objects selected, you will have all the channels scoped. Go to the Channel List and RMB-click and select Create Group from Scoped. Now RMB-click on the channels themselves and select "Motion Effects > Create Clip." This puts all your keys into a keyframe CHOP and adds a stretch CHOP. In CHOPS you can then point the channels to your second rig instead of the first and your motion will be copied. Motion FX lets you do other cool things if you want to.

3) If you set up your rigs as digital assets then you can RMB-click on your asset node in the network view and select "Change Type." Choose the second rig and all the motion from the first moves to the second. This is more of a transfer rather than a copy and paste but if your goal is to animate the second rig then this may be your best choice.

Hope this helps,
Robert

If the rigs are digital assets then you could do a
On 2013-04-29, at 10:18 AM, Jordi Bares <jordibares at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Is there a fast and easy way to copy/paste all the values of the transformation for a rig onto another? obviously assuming the same exact hierarchy and naming… using auto rig basically.
>
> Seems some of the most basic animation tools are not really there and it is very strange, for example, reading the manual talks about the pose library about I have not found a decent example of how that works.
>
> thx
>
> Jordi Bares
> jordi at realisestudio.com

Robert Magee