[Sidefx-houdini-list] Lightmaps!

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Tue Apr 9 14:28:55 EDT 2013

I was happy to see that Side Effects quietly (didn't see this trumpeted anywhere, so maybe I just missed it...) added support to the Mantra ROP ('UV Render Object" and "UV Attribute" in the 'Render' tab) for Lightmap baking so we don't have to do the old (fairly undocumented) 'mantra -u" stuff.

It works quite well, BUT... PBR rendering doesn't seem to work when doing Lightmap baking (I seem to recall something about ray tracing in general not working when doing Lightmap baking...).  This kind of defeats the purpose for some of us who want to bake a really nice bounced light solution into a Lightmap.  I understand that reflection/specular doesn't make sense in Lightmap baking since there is no real camera position (and I know a lot of times these rendering methods are optimized for rendering from a camera position), but does anyone have a decent solution for baking bounced diffuse light into a Lightmap?

Also, one caveat to the current Lightmap baking is you still need to post-process your Lightmaps to fix seam issues that happen from the texture filtering.  I just use a Dilate/Erode to to Dilate the edges out and put the original back over.  But it would be great if Side Effects implemented an option to do a proper Lightmap seam fix post process solution automatically like many other packages do.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Craig