[Sidefx-houdini-list] Camera model

Szymon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:47:06 EST 2012

As already mentioned the point is that in such a workflow (probably
commercials-wise), you make low-quality undistorted copy of the footage
just for technical purposes (tracking/preview etc), while leaving source
footage as-is, without duplicating it. It can be jpeg sequences, lower
resolution, sRGB, good for tracking, while editorial works on original
sources (dpx). Final renders are distorted and come to flame/smoke on exact
resolution, ready to put onto sources. It's a clean workflow, less
duplicates, albeit less flexible, but might work for people in commercials,
when you don't have time to manage copies of sources for different
departments and track changes in case cuts/takes change.

Mantra is (ironically) harder to extend than a ray tracers coming with c++
APIs (or rendermans). Own-brew esoteric ifd format, doesn't help either.
Some sort of programmability outside geometry creation and shaders
pipeline, would be very helpful, despite of people dislike of distorting
own renderings :).

2012/11/30 John Coldrick <john.coldrick at gmail.com>

> Just jumping in here - I think Colin's point is that you usually can't
> track distorted plates.  Nothing saying you can't, ever, but that's the
> first step assuming you're working with full filmback plates - undistort
> the plate before tracking.  Additionally, pipeline aside, just the notion
> of burning a distortion into a render seems like a bad idea to me in
> general.  There's no way to perfectly 'undo' distortion if it's burned into
> the lens.  Anyway, 2c, etc.
>
> Hey Colin!
>
> Cheers,
>
> J.C.
>

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Jordi Bares <jordibares at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > Depending on the footage tracking anything that has some sort of
> > perceptual distortion has always led to tracking issues somewhere in a
> > sequence - but to each their own.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >

> > You would track the undistorted plates but render distorted.
> >
> > Jb

> > the original distorted footage to minimise transformations in the CG and
> > the footage.

> > rides or immersive experiences and also for projection mapping for shows.

skk.