[Sidefx-houdini-list] VOPSOP by ID

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 09:38:58 EST 2012

If you dont want to enter into the HDK field I think the best option is to
make a Python SOP which basically creates a dictionary matching points in
the first input with the ones in he second using id attribute.
then create a new attribute which is the point index of the second input
point which paris with the first input point based on the id.
Use this attribute in a vopsop to retrieve attributes from the second input.
In HDK is much faster tha in Python of course so this rally doesn't scales
well for huge particles systems.
On the other hand doing a HDK node for this is easy if you now a little bit
about C++.
Cheers.

2012/11/30 Nick Nimble <nick at nicknimble.com>

> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a method to re-time aka interpolate particles. I would like
> to use a vopsop and do this as a post process. The idea is to use the point
> position of the neighboring frames and their velocities to calculate an
> in-between position.
>
> The problem is, a vopsop works by point numbers and not particles ID's and
> since point-numbers change when a particle dies...
>
> Any suggestions? I was thinking about the sort SOP, or something like
> that. A method to match the point number by the particle ID. Still this
> would result in missing point-numbers and I'm not sure if Houdini would
> like that.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Nick, be Nimble