[Sidefx-houdini-list] Camera model

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 06:35:16 EST 2012

2012/11/28 Neil Scholes <neil at uvfilms.co.uk>

> I would certainly love having a lens shader where you can import lens
> distortion models from apps like 3DEqualiser etc.
>
> rather than having to render larger resolutions than needed and distorting
> in nuke.

Well, this is  debatable.
If you "bake" the lens distortion in the render then you are forced to
rerender in case for  soem reason this lens dostortion option changes in
the future, or changes for some shots.
And this happens sometimes.
Whereas rendering some extra pixels is always a good thing, just an
overscan 1.1 will  allow you to add lens distortion in comp and also be
sure that further comp manipulations like camera shakes will have enough
pixels to work with.
I think it is better to render a bunch of extra pixels as a rule rather
than be forced to rerender a expensive render.

> Neil Scholes
>
> +44(0) 7977 456 197
> www.uvfilms.co.uk
>

> On 28 Nov 2012, at 10:17, Jordi Bares Dominguez wrote:
>
> > The moment you enter into physically base rendering you will end up
> wanting to use physically correct shaders and that ultimately will take you
> to realise that is actually not that useful unless you get it all right
> (physically correct camera and lights too) and also HDR balanced properly
> (no grading)
> >
> > The cascade effect is huge and adapting to the approach is not easy plus
> takes longer to render each frame but in my experience is more than
> acceptable for the things you gain.
> >
> > Ultimately, like apple did when they designed the iPad, one single rule
> forced a ton of changes everywhere (no pen, just your finger), with PBR is
> the same and certain render engines are already there or thereabouts,
> specially Maxwell, Vray and Mental Ray alongside all the other flavours
> inspired by these.
> >
> > I really hope after this exchange of ideas SideFX see the value and put
> together a physically correct ecosystem of tools for modern rendering.
> >
> > my 2 cents
> > jb
> >

> > On 28 Nov 2012, at 10:04, Neil Scholes <neil at uvfilms.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Interesting thoughts
> >>
> >> I was thinking that rendering linear light values in high dynamic range
> is the real benefit  we already have, because after that all real camera
> limitations such as abberation grain and iso can be faked in a more
> painterly way in the comp which is surely quicker and easier ?
> >>
> >> Also the issues of real world lenses and ISO etc well each camera, lens
> is going to vary in accuracy even if the camera manufacturers offer a
> template - rather like f stop vs T stop.
> >>

> >> Neil Scholes
> >>
> >> +44(0) 7977 456 197
> >> www.uvfilms.co.uk

> parameters ended up in metadata stored in the output image - this fits well
> into the EXR camera info as it's meant to represent what exposure the data
> represents with a good reference point from where to adjust it.

> quickly adjust the values and round robin them back to the scene camera.

> their render and with the ever expanding electronic cameras configurations
> and codecs this simply may be impossible but it may be useful to get a
> metric for density of noise in the picture that we can feed into the comp.

Un saludo
Best Regards
Pablo Giménez