[Sidefx-houdini-list] Camera model

Jordi Bares Dominguez jordibares at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 10:15:38 EST 2012

below

On 27 Nov 2012, at 14:44, Pablo Giménez <pablogipi at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/11/27 Colin Doncaster <colin.doncaster at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Jordi,
>>
>> I understand the outcome of setting these parameters but what do you mean
>> by "set your environment in the most correct way"?
>>
>> Also, are referring to a camera shader ( or similar ) that provides more
>> than a standard pin hole camera or are you just looking to balance the
>> amount of light exposed against the film back based on the described
>> settings?

That is what I meant, everything needs to be physically correct, otherwise in fact is counterproductive.

>> This of course assumes that you're using energy conserving shaders and
>> your shaders, textures, lights etc. are all being managed correctly also.
>>
>> Lastly, would doing this in the renderer be the best place?  Ultimately I
>> would assume you could reproduce a similar control over exposure in comp,
>> and maybe a few new options to mplay to control the exposure based on iso,
>> shutter speed and aperture?  Just some thoughts, to me having to re-render
>> every time the ISO changes feels like a lot of work.
>>
> Well I think this is the main reason because such a realistic camera model
> hasn't been implemented yet in Mantra.
> I think most SESI clients do this in comp.
> Anyway getting a more realistic lighting simulation tool is always welcome
> and is the way to go with PBR.

Two things I aim towards;

A ) technical - 3Dmotion blur plus depth of field should to be rendered together
B)  artistic - focus is a storytelling tool and should be in the hands of the lighting TD, which in fact takes you to point A

I know in the film pipelines this  may not be ideal for many studios and I understand why, but this approach brings a lot of benefits, not free though.

;-)
jb