[Sidefx-houdini-list] custom OP node

Dan Schneider eyevex at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 18:54:16 EDT 2012

I know this thread was from a few weeks ago but it really got me thinking and since ideas were being thrown around that are theretical and currently inaccessable ... I figured I'd ad my imagination to the thread....

From what I understand what everyone is talking about isn't about a node at all -- as pointed out there is a null (although in different context this does have functionality beyond doing abosuley nothing) and of course its ultimately dervived from OP_Node and everything is centered aroun param abstraction --- but it seem we are not talkin about nodes at all, and using a node like that just too move a graph line not only seems a touch innefficent but  not really within the realm of what nodes do -- they cook -- there needs to be no cook methodm, no parms/template, no flags, and a different shape --not recogonizable as a  node. In reality (correct me if Im wrong) is seems we are REALLY talking about the graphical representation of the connections between the nodes or "wire".... so heres my ideal fantasyland solution -- I have never seen it done in a 3d app node graph-- and if by some %.000001 someone could implement I lay no claim to rights on the idea
 just would like to use it :D

Particularly, now that there are bezier curves for connections ... what a bout 'unlocking' the wire--- being able to RMB on the wire -> unlock and display the knots and handles ala inkscape or illustrator? The being able in a drag the knots (the 'dot node' essentially) and alter the tangencies in and intuitive and familiar way... for that matter take it further and have a 'pencil and pen' like vector tool that could sketch arbrary node wires any way wanted -- then relock the wire (if desired). This would serve similar functionality witout murking the node paradigm -- not introduce extra graph clutter, reduce excessive use of nulls and keep the graph clean -- just by being able to treat the curve connection in a way everyone is used to treating them in a design centric view ala the curve node or vector art app.

Not sure if this is remotely possible and not officially requesting it but just had me thinkning -- "wouldn't in be cool if" -- wouldnt it be?

-Dan S [eyevex]