[Sidefx-houdini-list] RBDs - Collisions with lots passive moving pieces, most efficient way ?

Rafael Santos rafaels at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:21:45 EST 2012

If all the rocks have similar LOD, I'd say your best bet is to create an RBD Glue object and set it's "create active object"  toggle to off.
That'll give you one SDF per rock but each one will have the max detail level you specify in the collision volume page, rather than the bounding box of the merged rocks.

Now if you have rocks with different LOD you might want to create sets base on their LOD and create different RBD Glue objects so you can set the collision volume resolution according to the LOD of the different sets of rocks.

Ultimately if every single rock is a different beast, you have no choice rather than creating different RBD static objects... :P
I did once have an issue with creating one single SDF for complex groups of geometry where it created pockets of concavity and the collision detection failed in those cases... But that was a long time ago... in this very galaxy...

Cheers

Rafael Santos
rafaels at gmail.com
[416] 897-2841