[Sidefx-houdini-list] RBDs - Collisions with lots passive moving pieces, most efficient way ?

Vincent Houzé vince.houze at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 05:40:32 EST 2012

Hi,

I have to make little rocks collide with quite a bunch of keyframed
geos (around 100). (translating/rotating objects, not deforming)
What you would say is the way to go for this :

- Generate one SDF per object, apply to these SDF the key framed
animation and use that in DOPs for collision with the proxy volume on
the collisions/volume tab .
But this means 100+ hundreds different static objects in DOPs

- Generate one huge SDF (takes quite some time with a sufficient
resolution to get proper detail) per frame and having just one static
object in DOPs, again using the proxy volume.

Sadly I don't really have time to make proper performance tests right now.

Thanks a lot for tips and pointers,
Vincent