[Sidefx-houdini-list] DOPs- how to get non-active geo to "pull" on fluid?

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 14:51:34 EST 2012

So I have geometry that is brought in via fbx (new mesh each frame) and I want this motion of this mesh to influence (like advection) smoke in a fluid simulation.  What is the best way to do this?

There, of course, is no animation at the Object node or in a transform SOP.  I did a Trail SOP on the geo so that it had proper Velocity attributes but those don't seem to be utilized in any way except to help calculate collisions if I check that option on in DOPs.

The geo does collide with the fluid, by the way- the problem is that it's motion in no way affects the simulation- like the swirling or 'pulling' on the smoke one would expect in a realistic fluid simulation.

I am guessing it involves creating a Volume in the fbx geo SOP and transferring Velocity attributes to it and then importing that into DOPs or something but I want to find the most standard direct way of doing this if possible.  I would hope at some point this sort of thing would just be taken care of automatically in Houdini because I would guess it is a pretty standard thing to do and it isn't clear or well documented.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Craig