[Sidefx-houdini-list] Disable Gravitational Lensing

Floyd Gillis floyd at afcg.com
Tue Aug 14 22:39:31 EDT 2012

OK.  Perhaps I was being a little too cutesy with my previous post...
but there was a serious side to it.

I'm getting a strange artifact when rendering with DOF.  The blurred
area around foreground elements is warping the background, (hence the
"gravitational lensing" reference).

If you step through the 10 frames here...
http://www.afcg.com/.lensing/fram_05.html you can clearly see what's
happening.  The yellow spheres are using the mantra surface shader and
don't have any object reflection, refraction, transparency, or
displacement.  This warping effect becomes a bit distracting during a
full animation sequence.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Is it a standard artifact from DOF
rendering?

Cheers,

Floyd