[Sidefx-houdini-list] Save hou.session.listX with hip file

Szymon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 11:37:53 EDT 2012

> Being a little off topic, what exactly is JSON. I've noticed specific people, which I consider to be pretty smart ;-), being really exited that Houdini supports it. I understand I could use it for my current project as well, why should I, is it faster easier to use, other benefits?

Thing about JSON, that makes it so useful, that it's a
language/platform agnostic format. It came from a javascript
(JavaScriptObjectNotation), and it's used widely out there for many
things like databases query, http requests, or simply file storage.
You want Python, C#, C++, php, whatever, and all of them will have
Json parsers and other machinery ready on place. From Python point of
view it's a dictionary, so any class myObject(dict) is json-ready.

I've just committed Json based camera interchange format. Using Json
gave me from start load/dump to files, database storage, send via
http, and read /write in virtually any application including Max (ie.
with no Python support).

Saying that, SESI's binary json is not that easy, yet it's such a
smart move and a huge progress from previous proprietary library,
basically because its very extensible and approachable also for people
outside SESI.

cheers,
skk.