[Sidefx-houdini-list] Flipping viscosity

nicholas pliatsikas nicholas.pliatsikas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 07:41:15 EDT 2011

Hey andy
Ok there where various fixes that we came across and sidefx also sent
heres one for surface tension
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=20359

and the text from me to sidefx support regarding this

Anyways Id like to put an rfe/bug report in for the flip fluid solver. After
some tests it seems that surface tension, viscosity and friction dont work
at all on the flipfluid solver, im thinking that they havent been implement
rather then they dont work.

Theres a wee thread on sidefx.com regarding some of this.

http://www.sidefx
.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=20359

The surface tension can be added to the flip solver very easily using a gas
surface tension microsolver. So im guessing it should be pretty easy to
integrate correctly into the flip setup.

For viscosity, we tried gasblur on velocity etc but this messes with general
velocity to an extent it slows down the fluid as whole, for example the
fluid would look like its floating as gravity doesnt have the same pull on
it due to blurred velocity.
Sidefx sent me a better solution, Ive uploaded the file sent to me with a
better working viscosity, i cant quite recall what the changes where off the
top of my head.. but i do think there where some notes in the file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t1u8ts2gnntb1vp

Either way sidefx informed me that these issues should be solved in the next
houdini version.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Nick