[Sidefx-houdini-list] Using color to visualize 2 float values

Jeff Wagner jeff at sidefx.com
Fri Sep 9 17:23:43 EDT 2011

I still can't read normals as rgb... Need to view one channel at a time.
I have not come up with a combo of two float attributes visualized in to
a color in the viewport that doesn't leave me with a migraine.

Using colors to visualize more than one attribute at the same time
confuses me to no end as the mix of colors is challenging to read. Too
many things changing all the time. Let's say the first attribute's range
suddenly expands 2x way above 1 while the second remains the same. And
then you tell me you can guarantee that the two attribute values ranges
are always between 0 and 1. LOL!

One attribute at a time I get and map that to an RGB or HSV ramp. Use
this all the time with the visualization options in DOPs to see what is
going on with various fields.

And then you need to take your attributes for both channels, find their
min and max values then map to 0-1 to actually work in color. Either
that or set your viewport to HDR Rendering (to see your color as 16 bit
floats with values below 0 and above 1) and use the Color Correction
tool bar (mentioned in previous post) and press the adapt to full range
button to see your full range which I do all the time. I switch out
bright/contrast for min and max for the color range as that explicitly
tells me the min and max value of the color in the viewport when you
press adapt to full range.

I always have the color correction toolbar in my viewport btw.

I always do adapt to full range when viewing temperature in fluid sims
to see just how hot things are getting. That's one field per color range. :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

-jeff