[Sidefx-houdini-list] Python houdini

Andrew Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:55:53 EDT 2011

First you need to setup your environment as per the $HFS/houdini_setup*
scripts - either by using these shell scripts - or creating a python version
that sets the same variables, and then launches Houdini in a subshell.

hython - command line python interpretor with hou module loading. Use
#!/bin/env hython in executable python scripts under *nux

Also of interest: startup scripts for loading python custom modules inside
Houdini: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/hom/independent

You'd be lucky to get the hou module to load in Maya. These are compiled
python extensions that usually link against different compiled libs. As far
as I know the best you can do is use xmlrpc or a python subprocess with an
env arg to spawn one app from the other.

Cheers