[Sidefx-houdini-list] non gui access to new operator type (Ben Laidlaw)

Dan Schneider eyevex at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 21:23:46 EDT 2011

So as I have dug through this it seems to get progressively move confusing....
according to this page....

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/assets/advanced_otl
vcc -m vops.otl shader.vfl
This creates a new VOP operator and puts it in vops.otl. This is
exactly what Houdini does now when you choose “Create New VOP Type”
from the menu of a SHOP or VOPNET operator.
Which I dont actually see anywhere unlees Im looking in the wrong spot but i do see on the SHOP ... "create new shop of this type" -- so perhaps this is not the right vcc line in the 1st place.

Further strangeness.... after expanding the archives via hotl
differancess between the 1 created with vcc and the giu file menu...

inner and outter code appear in the cmdline create one (not suprising since I appear to need it to compile, but again what is getting run to do this via the menu??)
Initially other than the usual index and Sections files there is only a dialog script for the vcc compiled one, but the usual:
 ExtraFileOptions  Help  Sections.list  Tools.shelf  TypePropertiesOptions
section appear after interaction with the otl manager... most of the usual stuff from the basic tab of the type properties i expect in
Tools.shelf or TypePropertiesOptions --- but dont see the mask here -- where is it stored? when it is essentially only the ds is it implied from the code?

At this point it almost seem easier to create the file and the use hotl/cpio to get it to where expected or a combo of vcc, editing and hotl ... this also seems a little complex
With HDA/OTLs being so central to Houdini work flow is there not a simpilar way to replicate the results of the File -> new operator type menu ?
Am I totally missing something/domakign wrong assumtions?
Is there any experts on both using that menu and vcc cmdlien that can verifiy there is or isnt equivelants?

This started mostly out of curiosity -- Cant say I really expected to be digging in so many directions... makes me think Im not looking at this the right way...