[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK: parse point/prim groups

Szymon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:14:00 EST 2011

Thanks Andrew,

2011/11/28 Andrew Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com>:
> It is possible to have a point group called "group1" and a prim group
> called "group1" in the same geo detail. Note sure that you could avoiding
> testing for the existence of both at all times...
>
> Perhaps exposing a "group type" switch/menu parm on the node would help
> clarify user intent for the system?
>
> I might be missing something though.

No, it was me blurring in fact simple question. You're right, groups
can be ambiguous, Let me rephrase my question: how to start with
primitive groups but utilitize at the end:
duplicatePointSource/cookInputPointGroups/FOR_ALL_OPT_GROUP_POINTS
combo (or any other performing similarly)?

My Sop is a deformer working on points, but an user is providing
mostly prim groups, how to manage this without explicitly building
point group from prim vertices?

thanks!

> Cheers
>

> On 28 November 2011 13:27, Szymon Kapeniak <szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to modify an user specified group whenever it is a point or
>> primitive group. The thing I'm doing in essence is that I iterate over
>> points belonging to a point group, *or* laying on a primitives
>> belonging to the prim group. Is there a dedicated way of doing this?
>>
>> Currently my sop uses SOP_Node::cookInputPointGroups() and iterates
>> with FOR_ALL_OPT_GROUP_POINTS macro and I would love to leave it this
>> way for, at least theoretical, optimization.
>>
>> Should I basically use things like, parseInputGroup(),
>> cookInputAllGroups(), and then manually figure out type of a group,
>> and in case of prim group, iterate over prim to add point to some
>> array, or... I have better option?
>>
>> thanks!
>> skk.

skk.