[Sidefx-houdini-list] DTEX?

Colin Doncaster colin.doncaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:12:38 EST 2011

Hi there -

Dtex is the deep shadow format that PRMan renders, to read houdini's deep camera files you need to write your own file format reader for Nuke - The Foundry have supplied the source code for the Dtex reader to help with implementation and I know of a few places that have already developed this.  There are/were murmurs of them open sourcing these to make them public available but said studios ended up being overwhelmed with production and the legalese of open sourcing was a bit more complicated than just uploading to github.

The other caveat with the deep camera file library is it takes a license when reading them, so it may/may not fit into your studios resources.

I would hazard a guess that SideFX is taking their time and waiting for OpenEXR 2.0 as at this stage it might be "too soon" as I imagine once you start playing with the deep camera formats you'll quickly find them very resource intensive.

Cheers