[Sidefx-houdini-list] ROP asset question

jiversen jiversen at rhythm.com
Tue May 31 15:02:19 EDT 2011

We have tried several methods, no of which are quite ideal yet:

1./  A "Macro" delivery. We have a little subsystem which does an
automatic "Extract Contents" of HDAs (we call these "Macros"), and in
this we stick regular Mantra ROP which has it's interface edited and
parms messed with - along with our own render-queue controlling ROPs.
This method has had the longest longevity so far but it's really tricky
to distribute new rendering parameter values to lighters, etc.

2./ A locked HDA with Mantra ROP inside.  This solves the problem above
of disting new parameter values, but it also makes adding new rendering
properties difficult because you have to know to unlock the HDA and add
them to the (probably hidden) ROP inside it. And once you've done this,
you lose the updating-parameters advantage you're after.

3./ A direct copy of the Mantra ROP using the "opproperty" type of parm
addition seems like it relies externals files too much and doesn't solve
the problems above.

SOHO ROPs have the unique traits of having variable #'s of parameters,
some of them needing overriding by users, some of them better being
updated by a lighting supervisor, etc. and so it's a bit of a complex
issue.

We have now put together an entirely new "referenced sparse preset"
system (which is managed by our asset system) which allows us to update
certain chose parms and these updates are applied upon scene open
(456.py) -- kinda like a CHOPs override system but can handle all parm
types instead of just floats.