[Sidefx-houdini-list] ROP asset question

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Fri May 27 05:16:24 EDT 2011

2011/5/26 Antoine Durr <antoinedurr at gmail.com>

> On May 26, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Pablo Giménez wrote:
>
>  Problem I can find with this approach is that I am writing several python
>> scripts in the HDA definition. the ROP uses all of this python and I am
>> wondering if this could ge done easily using a Mantra rop.
>> I have scripts  for several events, parameters callbacks, etc ...
>> And I am containing them into the HDA definition. So far I want to make it
>> self contained becasue is a prototype.
>> I cant change the Mantra definition so I cant save my scripts into it.
>> What I am looking for is having a layer on top of the Mantra ROPs that
>> gives
>> us total control, about the interface, how it integrates with the
>> pipeline,
>> etc ...
>> I can see the problem about updating to new versions of the Mantra ROP.  I
>> am wondering if you have  Mantra ROP for H11, and then in H12 it comes
>> with
>> new properties,when I open my old scene, or load my asset will it update
>> the
>> Mantra ROP to the new one with the new properties?
>>

> The Mantra ROP underneath will automatically upgrade to the H12 version
> when the time comes.  The issue is that to create an encapsulating layer,
> you'll need to replicate every parameter on the Mantra ROP into the UI of
> your OTL.  That UI will *not* update automatically when the Mantra ROP
> underneath changes.  You will have to update that by hand, which can be a
> pain (we ran into that from H10 to H11, and it took us a few months to get
> around to updating the UI; in the meantime, we had the old UI driving a new
> Mantra ROP, but without access to the latest bells and whistles brought on
> by H11).

Ah well!
Is what I expected. I prefer to have this hassle on the transition from one
version to another but keep the control and flexibility of your own asset.
To make the transition easire I think it wouldnt to hard to make a tool that
outputs a list of all parameters/properties in a file and then compare this
list against another node, this way you can get a list of all the
differences. Is a good starting point to mathc all the differences.
anyway becasue of the nature of the current implementation of Mantra ROP and
how render proeprties works. Would be really good tht in the next release
SESI will have some docs specifying what have changed in the Mantra ROP and
in the available render propeties.

> -- Antoine

Un saludo
Best Regards