[Sidefx-houdini-list] ROP asset question

Antoine Durr antoinedurr at gmail.com
Thu May 26 18:36:18 EDT 2011

On May 26, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Pablo Giménez wrote:

> Problem I can find with this approach is that I am writing several
> python
> scripts in the HDA definition. the ROP uses all of this python and
> I am
> wondering if this could ge done easily using a Mantra rop.
> I have scripts  for several events, parameters callbacks, etc ...
> And I am containing them into the HDA definition. So far I want to
> make it
> self contained becasue is a prototype.
> I cant change the Mantra definition so I cant save my scripts into it.
> What I am looking for is having a layer on top of the Mantra ROPs
> that gives
> us total control, about the interface, how it integrates with the
> pipeline,
> etc ...
> I can see the problem about updating to new versions of the Mantra
> ROP.  I
> am wondering if you have  Mantra ROP for H11, and then in H12 it
> comes with
> new properties,when I open my old scene, or load my asset will it
> update the
> Mantra ROP to the new one with the new properties?

The Mantra ROP underneath will automatically upgrade to the H12
version when the time comes.  The issue is that to create an
encapsulating layer, you'll need to replicate every parameter on the
Mantra ROP into the UI of your OTL.  That UI will *not* update
automatically when the Mantra ROP underneath changes.  You will have
to update that by hand, which can be a pain (we ran into that from
H10 to H11, and it took us a few months to get around to updating the
UI; in the meantime, we had the old UI driving a new Mantra ROP, but
without access to the latest bells and whistles brought on by H11).

-- Antoine