[Sidefx-houdini-list] ROP asset question

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:46:16 EDT 2011

Problem I can find with this approach is that I am writing several python
scripts in the HDA definition. the ROP uses all of this python and I am
wondering if this could ge done easily using a Mantra rop.
I have scripts  for several events, parameters callbacks, etc ...
And I am containing them into the HDA definition. So far I want to make it
self contained becasue is a prototype.
I cant change the Mantra definition so I cant save my scripts into it.
What I am looking for is having a layer on top of the Mantra ROPs that gives
us total control, about the interface, how it integrates with the pipeline,
etc ...
I can see the problem about updating to new versions of the Mantra ROP.  I
am wondering if you have  Mantra ROP for H11, and then in H12 it comes with
new properties,when I open my old scene, or load my asset will it update the
Mantra ROP to the new one with the new properties?
Thanks for your answers, really helpful,

2011/5/26 Andrew Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com>

> ROPs are kind of tricky because they have to hook into SOHO, and new soho
> properties get added constantly, so keeping otl ROPs up to date quickly
> becomes a nightmare.
>
> Galleries and presets are one nice alternative to otls. They build UI, set
> values, and can be applied to the latest factory ROPs. You can apply a
> gallery to any ROP node from a button with either a callback on a button or
> a callback on a menu of some sort.
>
> Cheers
>

> 2011/5/25 Pablo Giménez <pablogipi at gmail.com>
>
> > Hi all.
> > I am trying to make awrapper for Mantra, which basically is an OTL than
> has
> > several Mantra ROPs into it.
> > In the asset there is a parameter that control a switch ROP and allows to
> > set the mantra rop you want to use for the render.
> > I am still working in the asset interface, but I was wondering what
> happend
> > in a rop otl when you press the render button, how it know what rops from
> > inside the otl render?
> > The Render button appear grey, you can not change it settings in the Type
> > Properties, so you can not change the callback script, the I guess is
> going
> > to call to all ROPs inside the otl/subnetwork.
> > If this is the case the inly solution is to create a custom Render
> buttoin
> > where you can specify a callback script that call to the selected
> > ROPs,ratger than all the rops inside.
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Un saludo