[Sidefx-houdini-list] ROP asset question

Michael K. O'Brien mobrien at pixar.com
Wed May 25 15:50:32 EDT 2011

Hola~

We used to have ROP otls that publish trange, f*, and take on the top level
and then have all the contained rops reference those attrs. This makes Render
do something logical. You have to create the disable rules on the top level by
hand, so it's a bit of a process.

We ended up not using otl's for ROP networks because artists want to muck with
them so much. Now, we use shelf buttons that create a subnet with contained
rops in them. This way the network is just a baseline, but the artist can wire
it into the network in a way that makes sense. The subnet is nice because it
has explicit inputs and is immediately editable.

MO

>-- On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 08:30:40PM +0100, Nico Delbecq wrote:
> My current workaround for this is to make the rops editable inside the asset and enabling/disabling them via python...
>
> Hope that helps.
> Cheers,
> Nico
>

> On 25 May 2011, at 19:36, Mark Alexander <malexander at sidefx.com> wrote:
>
> > On 05/25/2011 02:27 PM, Pablo Giménez wrote:
> >> I am still working in the asset interface, but I was wondering what happend
> >> in a rop otl when you press the render button, how it know what rops from
> >> inside the otl render?
> >
> > Since there are no node flags in ROPs, and there is no output connector for subnets, a subnet ROP renders all ROPs that have no outputs (ie, are at the end of a chain).
> >
> > M.

Michael O'Brien                                                       FX Lead
Pixar                                                       mobrien at pixar.com