[Sidefx-houdini-list] Different otl version per node instance

Jeff Wagner jeff at sidefx.com
Tue May 10 05:47:46 EDT 2011

Currently Houdini's behaviour is to have each asset defined by a single
definition using it's name as the unique qualifier in the current
session. There is no way to have a single one-off override for a node to
point to a different .otl file on disk. This could get quite confusing
in heavy production for artists?

As was mentioned by Sebastian, it is straightforward to have a new name
for the version and point your node to that new version. With two
definitions loaded, say "my_asset_v001" and "my_asset_v002" defined by
my_asset_v001.otl and my_asset_v002.otl respectively, you can use the
RMB Change Type... option on the node and choose the version you wish
this node to use. As was mentioned also by Sebastian, you can create
your own logic that can present the user a filtered set of operators to
just my_asset* but RMB > Change Type works.

Btw there is an existing RFE to have Change Type work with type ahead as
the tab menu does. If this were implemented, it would make this step
more user friendly. All of this is script-able via Python HOM.

-jeff

The current limitation is that Houdini only allows for a single
definition for "copy"