[Sidefx-houdini-list] Different otl version per node instance

Antoine Durr antoinedurr at gmail.com
Mon May 9 18:47:18 EDT 2011

Agreed.  And by way of convention, we say "if the new version  is not
compatible with the old one, bump up the version number."  I've
written systems where the otl itself has a major version number
buried in its name, and then the CVS/Subversion/etc. system adds a
minor version after it.  That way when you make simple changes, you
go from 2.4 to 2.5, then to 2.6.  But now if you add something that
creates a cross incompatibility, bump up the major version to 3, and
restart the cvs'ing at 0.

Then for bonus points you modify the OPcustomize file to first ophide
the old versions.  That way <tab> only lists the current one.  Then
at some later point you opalias the new one to the old one and remove
the old one.  That way when they load the file, the old automatically
gets upgraded to the new one.

Fancier systems use the pipeline to redirect which version of the otl
you're going to receive.  If you need both the old and the new, you
"subscribe" to them both and presto, you have access to both.

-- Antoine