[Sidefx-houdini-list] Different otl version per node instance

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sat May 7 21:46:47 EDT 2011

Hi everybody,

I'm curious to get the opinion of others about something that I find
more like a limitation than a feature in Houdini.

Why aren't we able to chose per node what version of the otl it reads. I
mean there should have "Use Default Definition" for most of the nodes
but there are times when you'd like to force a node to point a specific
version of otl without changing at the scene level. For example, I
release a new asset (car) that contains other custom assets (window,
door). My new car asset has been designed to work with a newer version
of window and door but in the shot hip files, there is a helicopter
asset that is only compatible with the old version of the window.

I know some will say, you should design your tools so they are always
backward compatible etc. but the production reality is that I don't want
to think about my design for weeks. I just want to deal with Houdini
assets like I would for any file called in reference in Maya for example.

Wouldn't be great to be able to do so?

François