[Sidefx-houdini-list] Auto-resize voxel sim

Bill Watral bwatral at pixar.com
Thu Mar 24 14:05:09 EDT 2011

Hi,

We put together something based on the scatter approach as an OTL. It
has been working well for us so far. Our approach is a bit more
complicated then just taking the field you want resize with (ie density
or temperature) because we ran into trouble with fast moving sources.

The quick outline is:

otl with a sop solver feeding into a gas resize field.
     within the sop solver:

         1)Dop import pulling the field you want to use as the resize field,
         scatter into that dop import.

         2)object merge your source (emitter) sop,
         scatter into this source.

         3)Merge these two and bound the result.

         4)Padding on the final output bound is used to adjust for
velocity of fluid to prevent clipping

         5)We also added in a clip limit feature to limit the size of
the result based on a sop input.

The rough idea for this method came from conversations with sidefx.
I agree with Michael that the scatter might be a bit lighter.

On 03/24/2011 10:26 AM, Michael Dunkley wrote:
> Hi François,
>
> http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/276/Houdini+Smoke+And+Dust
>
> There is a comparable method discussed in this video that uses a scatter ->
> bbox within a sop solver.
> Sounds very similar to what you're talking about, but the scatter might save
> you a few cycles over a volume conversion.
>
> best,
> mike
>
> 2011/3/24 François Duchesneau<sidefx at trinix.ca>
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've figured out I can have an auto-resize based on the density field by
>> bringing it in sop and convert it to iso with a "Convert Volume Sop". Than I
>> use that geo on a "Gas Resize Fluid" to do the automatic resize based on its
>> bounding box.
>>
>> I'm going to create a hda for that but I'm wondering if I'm missing
>> something and reinventing the wheel. Is it already possible to it directly
>> with "Gas Resize Fluid" or an other node inside dop?
>>
>> François

Bill Watral
FX | TD
x4720