[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDK OP in non 'Custom' tabmenu folder

Graham Thompson captainhammy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 00:29:47 EDT 2011

You need to create a custom tool definition for your compiled
operator.  When you compile operators and load them into Houdini, it
will create and use a super generic tool if none is found, hence the
boring 'Custom' folder.  By creating a custom tool definition you can
control the menu placement as well as some other things.  When
creating a custom tool definition the tool name must be the operator
name prefixed by the context in order for Houdini to associate a tool
with an operator.  Examples include "sop_star", "object_mycoolop",
"dop_merge".

For example, when I load one of my custom compiled object operators,
Transform Switch, it appears in the 'Custom' folder and has no tab
menu icon.  If I add the tool for that operator to a shelf and then
attempt to look at that tool I can see that in this case it is defined
in $HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR/hfs7752-0.tmp.  This isn't useful.  However, I
can modify this tool and save it somewhere.  I can set the icon to be
COMMON_switch and the Tab Submenu Path to be Utility.  Now, if I save
the tool to a .shelf file and it in a /toolbar folder somewhere in the
$HOUDINI_PATH, when Houdini launches the tool will get picked up and
all those settings I defined are reflected.