[Sidefx-houdini-list] data type conversion

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:01:24 EST 2011

2011/3/7 François Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca>:
> No way, I didn't know we could do that. That's probably super fast.

Maybe, maybe not. Don't forget that to do this, you're invoking an
external unix process, which itself is not free of overhead. Houdini
then converts the geometry to an ascii representation, feeds it into
that process, which has to parse, edit, and print it back out, where
Houdini can then re-convert the resulting ascii geometry back into
the binary representation used internally.

I have my doubts that's as fast as using standard OPs to recast the
data, in the general case (but I'm not going to benchmark it).

However, for Greg's case, it might be, since the data is coming from
an external source. If the external data is originally saved as a .geo
(i.e. it's already ascii), then the Unix SOP could be used as the
geometry generator (instead of the File SOP), to read/parse all in
one go (after it's been cooked the first time, the SOP can then be
locked to avoid continually re-doing it all the time). Essentially
you're then filtering the data before it even makes it into Houdini.

Cheers,
Ammon