[Sidefx-houdini-list] Standalone geo converters+ frame numbers

Miles Green Miles.Green at al.com.au
Thu Mar 10 22:54:03 EST 2011

Hi Rangi,
 unfortunately thats not the case, printing the value of filename passed
by %s returns a sting similar to:

/tmp/hfs27881-161.tmp.obj

so I can only assume that some post process outside of the standalone
converter renames this file to the actual filename afterwards :(

Rangi Sutton wrote:
> On 11 March 2011 10:27, Miles Green <Miles.Green at al.com.au> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> does anyone know anyway to pass the current frame into a standalone geo
>> converter (like geo2voxel in the HDK examples)? unfortunately the file
>> format I'm working with likes to have the frame stored as one of it's basic
>> attributes in the file header
>>
>> I guess ideally I'm looking for a flag like %f that can be added to the
>> GIOio table
>>
>> I thought I would be cleaver and extract the frame from the input/output
>> filename but Houdini saves the files on the fly to /tmp/ with a temporary
>> filename string thats doesn't reference the frameNumber..
>>
>> any help appreciated
>>

> Don't know about a framenumber string, but your idea of pulling it out of
> the filename should work!
>
> The GIOio entry here for instance:
>
>  .obj "gwavefront %s stdout.bgeo" "gwavefront stdin.bgeo %s"
>
> Means that if I save a file as myobj.0001.obj then this gets run:
>
> gwavefront stdin.bgeo myobj.0001.obj
>
> So.. where gwavefront would be replaced with your standalone converter, and
> the second argument given to it is the output filename it should be saving
> to, so it could strip the framenumber out of there, no?
>
> Cheers,
> r.

Miles Green
Digital Artist, FX Lead TD, Guardians