[Sidefx-houdini-list] Standalone geo converters+ frame numbers

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Thu Mar 10 19:48:24 EST 2011

On 11 March 2011 10:27, Miles Green <Miles.Green at al.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> does anyone know anyway to pass the current frame into a standalone geo
> converter (like geo2voxel in the HDK examples)? unfortunately the file
> format I'm working with likes to have the frame stored as one of it's basic
> attributes in the file header
>
> I guess ideally I'm looking for a flag like %f that can be added to the
> GIOio table
>
> I thought I would be cleaver and extract the frame from the input/output
> filename but Houdini saves the files on the fly to /tmp/ with a temporary
> filename string thats doesn't reference the frameNumber..
>
> any help appreciated

Don't know about a framenumber string, but your idea of pulling it out of
the filename should work!

The GIOio entry here for instance:

 .obj "gwavefront %s stdout.bgeo" "gwavefront stdin.bgeo %s"

Means that if I save a file as myobj.0001.obj then this gets run:

gwavefront stdin.bgeo myobj.0001.obj

So.. where gwavefront would be replaced with your standalone converter, and
the second argument given to it is the output filename it should be saving
to, so it could strip the framenumber out of there, no?

Cheers,
r.