[Sidefx-houdini-list] delayed load points inheriting attributes..?

Szymon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:02:30 EST 2011

Hmm, I would say that properties won't be passed to archive shaders...

This is fairly simple as long as you have a single shader per baked
geometry, since you can apply it on instancing point, not instanced
archive (by using MaterialSOP with overrides).

Once you want more then a single shader per instance, you need to bake
them into archive IFD, and from now on AFAIK you can't inherit point's
attributes to be passed  to DL shaders. Or I'm missing something
also...

I don't think there is any elegant way for doing this other than
cleverly baking shaders for your archive with varying parameters
already in place.

Some solution would be to open geometry of instancing points in an
archived shader and import your attributes by hand from there (far
from elegance I suppose).

Another idea I used to think of was a custom VEX function returning
value from a database during render time. As it would be a vex
constant, performance should not be an issue I believe).

cheers!