[Sidefx-houdini-list] KDE Hell! Suggestions appreciated ...

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Tue Mar 1 15:30:20 EST 2011

(I posted this to another systems list, but thought there might be
someone here that's been down this road; thanks in advance as always)

Hi there,

Running "kubuntu" 9.04 on Mac Pro h/w for a year or more no problem.

Then yesterday the KDE Gods rained hell upon me!!!!!!

For some reason I have yet to figure out, a number of apps that use some
component of the KDE will launch, and then stall and finally fail.
Including Houdini (and firefox, thunderbird, etc.) and kdevelop which I
use for it's text editor.  Apps that were open at the time, like
kdevelop, stalled and then finally the whole desktop froze, I had to ssh
in from another box and reboot ....

So far, this is what I've done, with little success:

* Deleted $HOME/.kde  (just reset my desktop, but apps are still foo-bar)

* Fired up a second machine that mounts the same home dir, runs a
slightly older flavor of Ubunutu, same symptoms.  So, one would assume
it's a shared item in the $HOME dir  ... so far, removing $HOME/.kde
does not fix the problem.

* Upgraded the 64 bit machine from "Kubuntu" 9.04 to 9.10, primarily in
hopes that it would install (and fix) the various KDE components.  I
knew it wouldn't affect the Houdini install and have been meaning to do
it for a few months ... had only a little affect, now *some* of the
installed KDE apps will launch, but very slowly, but does not include
Houdini or firefox/thunderbird.  And now, I get some window appearing
warning me that some akonadi-server had problems, listing a crap load of
errors, some including mysql!!!   The little sucker is expecting mysql
to be running for a desktop to work?  WTF????

* I rebooted and logged in to the console and started X manually
(startx) and it took a long time for the desktop to build, but
eventually it cam up, with no change in symptoms.

* Google-ing for the issue has brought few results. I really, really,
*really* don't want to have to rebuild this machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions??

I've attached  the latest .xsession file that has all kinds if error
messages, maybe it will help.

Thanks,
Mark