[Sidefx-houdini-list] paper folding

Andrew Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Sun Jul 31 19:31:02 EDT 2011

It's fairly simple stuff. Funnily enough I did something almost identical (also in ICE) for a Brother job.

The procedure for doing this is as follows:

1) Transform all points into local space of the Controller object.
2) Get distance of  transformed point from the x axis.
3) Use the distance as the angle parameter into the equation of a circle and use the height of the controller object as the radius:

  P = [ r sin(d), - r cos(d), z]

4) Use whatever other rotation limits and parameters you want to get the effect you're after.

So mathematically speaking, you'd need to know how to transform a vector with the inverse world matrix of the controller, and also know how to use the equation of a circle.

I don't have Houdini in front of me now, otherwise I'd be able to advise you more specifically how to implement this, but it shouldn't be too hard. For one thing, you can avoid doing the matrix transform manually by using the Object Merge SOP to do it for you.

Cheers,
Andy