[Sidefx-houdini-list] FLIP fluid initial state

John Lynch johnerlists at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 12:15:21 EDT 2011

For FLIP fluids there's actually a lighter weight way to do this.  Since
the particles define the entire state of the sim, you can save them out
as .bgeo and use that as input to the FLIP Fluid Object (as long as
you're still using the same parameters for the object).  In fact, you
can delete every attribute except velocity (and P obviously) to save space.

On the FLIP Fluid Object, set the Input Type to File, point it at your
.bgeo file, leave Initialize Fluid Attributes On, but turn off
Initialize Velocity.

You can also use this to resume a sim that crashes, runs out of memory
etc.  If you crash after writing out frame 50,  for example, set the
Creation Frame to 50 and the input file to the results of that frame.
You can then keep simming and writing out from frame 51 on.