[Sidefx-houdini-list] nonLinear fluid reTime

Szymon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 05:33:31 EDT 2011

Hey Ben,
fluids are volumes (SDF), so they could be interpolated by Timeblend,
Sequenceblend and Timeshift Sops, similarly to plain geometries. I've
never tried it on fluids, but theoretically this should work the same
as on smoke (unless interpolating SDF is more computational
problematic, than density fields).

So I would try to increase a little su- stepping to provide good
samples for extreme interpolation, and retime my SDFs (taken straight
from DOPS, without meshing), after which meshing should be possible as
usual.

hth,
skk.

2011/7/8 Ben Frost <benfrost3d at gmail.com>:
> hi all..
>
> I'm looking for anyones opinion regarding a non-linear reTime of a fluid
> sim.. and possible approaches to take.. the reTime is quite severe.. going
> from 24fps to around 432fps.. so 18 times slower.. and is based on a
> particle sim..
>
> at the moment I'm using a brute force method for having the subSteps at 18,
> writing out the subFrame for each step.. and then read it back in, and
> reTiming.. this works.. but as you can imagine the sim times goes through
> the roof a bit.. and change the sim some what.. although it's more accurate
> it does create the problem of previewing the simulation at 18 subSteps..
> ideally I'd like to simulate at as fewer subSteps as possible.. until i'm
> happy with the sim.. and then upRess and bake out subFrames/subSteps..
>
> we've reTimed the particles using the velocities to interpolate and get us
> the subFrames needed.. not sure there is a way to interpret this to fluid
> though..
>
> and to make things worse.. I've been shown an animatable "sim scale" option
> in maya.. which works all too well.. I noticed houdini has the same option
> of sim scale, but this is only able to be set at sim start.. just wondering
> if this is possible to be manipulated and animate..?
>
> anyway I'd be great to hear your opinions or possible more efficient less
> brute force approach..
>
> cheers
>
> ben..

skk.