[Sidefx-houdini-list] model conversion

Jed Schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Tue Jul 5 15:51:16 EDT 2011

We use Polytrans and its great, Rhino also does a good job converting
CAD files to .obj but I don't think it supports quite as many formats
as Polytrans, but I think it does run native on the Mac. You might
have problems with the normals on the PT converted.obj files.

gwavefront, which is used by Houdini to do .obj -> .bgeo conversion,
by default keeps shared points shared. This is a problem because
Houdini doesn't have vertex normals. To work around this, manually
convert with

gwavefront -u test2.obj test2.bgeo

This will result in a .bgeo with unique points that have the proper
normals.

Make sure you leave the point normals alone, do NOT recompute point
normals in translation sops or you'll have problems with the look of
your surfaces-

Hope this is helpful!

Jed-

On Jun 29, 2011, at 6:38 PM, Larry Giunta wrote:

> Thanks very much for the feedback Al.
> Very helpful info .... and much appreciated.
>
> Larry
>

> On Jun 29, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Al Curatolo wrote:
>
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> Polytrans works fine in virtual PC or vmware. In the past I've
>> used it to get
>> data out of Houdini to various formats and convert some old
>> Electric Image
>> FACT format models into obj for import to Houdini successfully.
>>
>> Unless things have changed recently you can't convert to Houdini
>> geo/bgeo as a
>> destination.  The OBJ export works well with Houdini.  I don't
>> have the DCC or
>> CAD Packs so I can't speak to them.  Overall a very solid piece of
>> software.
>>
>> Al

Jed Schwartz
Creative Director
Jed Schwartz Productions
603-495-3125
jed at jedschwartz.com
http://www.jedschwartz.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an
authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are
prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in
this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete all copies of this message and any attachments.