[Sidefx-houdini-list] particle gnomon query on a flocking system

Phil Spicer PSpicer at bournemouth.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 05:43:03 EST 2011

Hi,

I have a simple flocking system which appears to work fine. When I copy geometry onto the particles, it aligns correctly with the direction of particle travel.

If I activate the particle gnomon display however, all the particle gnomons appear aligned to world space. The particles move as before, but the gnomon display is not aligned with the direction of travel.

I am wondering therefore why this is occurring... As said, the copy sop is aligning geometry to the direction of particle travel but ignoring the gnomon direction. Where is the copy sop getting this alignment information from?

In H10 the particle gnomon and direction of particle travel were aligned, making checking the rotations of flocking particles simple to see at POP Level. Has anything changed? I have tried assigning a Rotate POP to brute force a random gnomon direction for each particle before it feeds into the follow and interact POPS; however this makes little difference. The direction of travel created by these operators again does not match the rotated gnomon display.

Any thoughts welcome.

Kind regards,

Phil.

This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person. otter