[Sidefx-houdini-list] MOCAP & the Auto Rig query

Phil Spicer PSpicer at bournemouth.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 07:07:56 EST 2011

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience assigning MOCAP data to the standard Houdini humanoid auto rig? Is it possible?

We can read in MOCAP data using biovision and acclaim formats, and these build a pre-determined custom skeleton with each bone/joint assigned its own individual name. A bclip data channel file then adds the animation.

FBX MOCAP also reads in fine; however the animation data appears hard baked into each bone/joint node. The bclip route is better as it allows for blending between different bclip data (such as a t-pose to MOCAP animation blend).

I can access the auto rig skeleton okay; however when I dive inside it, the skeleton is made up of sub objects (such as right leg and left leg). The names inside these comparable sub objects are however identical (both right and left leg might contain a thigh_bone object). This means multiple versions of the same named object exist within the rig, and we are wondering how this can be made to work with MOCAP as generally MOCAP skeletons rely on unique names for all the components.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome. It would be great to use the standard humanoid auto rig for MOCAP if it is possible, rather than having to design and build a custom MOCAP skeleton asset.

Kind regards,

Phil.

This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person. exe