[Sidefx-houdini-list] prerender hook?

Matt Estela matt.estela at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:20:07 EST 2011

We're using soho hooks quite a bit in our pipeline, but the question
came up if we'd be able to hook into the prerender/postrender etc
functionality on the rop, ie before the render hits soho.

There's not much documentation on this, and it appears to be magically
picked up by the rop itself. Eg I can create a new output driver type,
add a 'prerender' parm, set it to just 'message "boo"', and it'll be
called when I hit the render button.

I could maybe hide the prerender parm on our rop, expose a
'userprerender' parm instead, and do whatever logic we need within our
now hidden prerender call, but was wondering if there's a more elegant
solution I'm missing. Smart money says yes.  :)

Cheers,

-matt