[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering boxes with cusped edges anddisplacements

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 17:16:29 EDT 2011

If you just want a bumpy surface you don't have to displace along the normals.  You can displace in XYZ using the results from a 3D noise lookup (though you might need to normalize it to go from -1 to 1 in all dimensions).  Make sure you make the proper "REST" attribute for the lookup, etc.

I used to do this with Renderman in the old days and am assuming Mantra handles it fine...

Then again the extra attribute to drive the displacement as suggested below should work too.  You might need to make sure this attribute gets transformed as the object rotates, though, or you might get some sizzling in the bumps...

Cheers,
Craig