[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering boxes with cusped edges and displacements

Sean Lewkiw Sean.Lewkiw at cis-vancouver.com
Tue Aug 23 21:49:43 EDT 2011

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.

I have a bog-standard box.  I apply a simple shader and render, I get smoothed edges.  Slap on a vertex sop, cusp N, I get faceted edges.  Good.

Apply a displacement using simple turbulent noise in a simple "material shader builder" shader.  Now I get the sharp edges, but the displacement tears.  It looks the same as you get with a unshared points box, only there are no holes.... the holes are just filled with a streaked displacement.

Uncusp the vertex N, it looks nice, but now I have interpolated normals and it no longer looks box-like and shades weirdly at edges.

Am I asking for the moon on a stick to expect this to work?  I need the non-interpolated normals of the cusped version, without the tearing of the cusped version.

Sean

Sean Lewkiw | DFX Supervisor
method studios vancouver || 50 West 2nd Ave | Vancouver BC | V5Y 1B3
p. 604.874.8700 | f. 604.872.2106 | c. 6043461228
sean.lewkiw at cis-vancouver.com

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of e-mail cannot be guaranteed.