[Sidefx-houdini-list] MacBook Pro compatibility

Martin Aufinger Martin.Aufinger at framestore.com
Mon Aug 22 09:19:12 EDT 2011

Thanks a lot everyone.
Very interesting points...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Wagner" <jeff at sidefx.com>
To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
Sent: Monday, 22 August, 2011 12:37:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] MacBook Pro compatibility

Only issues between Mac, Linux and Windows for me are the advanced
graphic modes in Houdini's display options on the Mac. They may or may
not work under Snow Leopard. The slowdowns on the MacBook Pro tend to be
centered around graphics performance. Running simulations on the dual
core i7 on the mac and a PC desktop with the same configuration are
within 5% of each other and I suspect that is due to disk IO performance
on the MacBook Pro not as fast as the PC running win/linux.

I haven't upgraded to Lion yet as I have been burned once too often with
a premature OS upgrade. I like to wait a couple months for the bugs to
work themselves out. I know Houdini runs on Lion as a couple guys at
work have upgraded to Lion on their MacBook Pros. Keynote was flaky a
couple weeks ago under Lion. I see an update for keynote just last week
so who knows.

Probably upgrade to Lion this week.

-jeff