[Sidefx-houdini-list] MacBook Pro compatibility

Ron Schab ron.schab at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 20:25:19 EDT 2011

>From what I remember the openGL drivers for MacOSX are way outdated (unless
the ones NVIDIA provides fixes this). Meaning no go with all the nice
viewport enhancements of H11 and even moreso for the upcoming H12.  I don't
know about the ones for/from ATI/AMD, but I would definitely check on that
before comitting to an ATI.

The other big point would be to find out if H12's GPU exelaration is CUDA or
OpenCL based/optimised.  Looking at the broader plattform for OpenCL one
might suggest SESI would go with that, but then again CUDA seems quite a bit
faster and in the H12 preview videos SESI mentions a Tesla (NVIDIA) which
would definitely be quicker utilizing CUDA.  Maybe they support both?
That's yet to be revealed.

However it'd definitely be a massive downer for me to go with ATI and then
find out all the GPU enhanced sim features that are coming with H12 aren't
running as well as they could be.

cheers
Ron