[Sidefx-houdini-list] MacBook Pro compatibility

David Johnson daveinengland at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:40:37 EDT 2011

Using a quadro 4000 for mac on a mac pro with 32gb of ram, everything rocks.
I was rendering a huge still (18000x5000) with lots of geometry in the
background while someone was painting on that huge image in photoshop and it
was still about 35% faster than out 3 year old Dell.

That was the first project I've done on this machine, but so far I'm very
happy with it.

Dave

On Wednesday, August 10, 2011, Peter Bowmar <pbowmar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup, my CPU tests showed the Mantra renders (non graphical, to an
> image file) to be super fast, corresponding to CPU vintage. Graphics
> are the issue.
>
> My understanding is that if you buy an Nvidia pro level card (Quadro
> 4000) you can get proper drivers from Nvidia and not rely on the
> relatively crap ones that Apple provide, but that is not something I
> know directly, it's 2nd hand info :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter B
>
> On 10 August 2011 13:38, Antoine Durr <antoinedurr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We use Houdini on Mac Pros as well.  I think any apparent sluggishness is
due to graphics cards and drivers.

>> -- Antoine
>>

>> On Aug 10, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Larry Giunta wrote:
>>
>>> I'll toss in that I've been using Houdini on a MacPro ( workstation, not
book) for
>>> about a year now and I've been pretty happy with the results. We're not
doing
>>> feature work but a variety of spot, broadcast and corporate work in HD.
>>>
>>> It's hard for me to compare speed directly with Linux because the Linux
boxes
>>> we have Houdini running on here are a bit older than the Mac ... so it's
tough to compare.

>>> Would not be surprised if it is in fact slower on OSX than Linux. But
the convenience of having
>>> all of my other Mac apps so handy ( Final Cut, AE, Pshop, tracking, etc)
is a big plus for me.

>>> The recent Final Cut news is concerning though .... tough to say where
that is all going.
>>> Holding on tight to my current cut for now.
>>>
>>> Larry
>>>
>>> --
>>> Larry Giunta
>>> Creative Director
>>> G Creative Studios
>>> (781)393-0200
>>> www.gcreativestudios.com

Apprentice installed and for that purpose it works fine. Although you should
keep in mind that Houdini is quite a bit slower on OSX (area of 10%). I
guess it depends what you're up to, I would consider it fine for .otl
development and that sort of things, but I wouldn't think about doing
serious simulation or render work on a Mac. I have to mention that if
Houdini was just as fast on OSX it would be a no brainer for me. For as long
as Apple allows 'us' professional users, not sure if you are aware of recent
activities around FinalCut, but it seems 'we' are going down the drain.

Houdini on a Mac Book Pro, I happen to know that he carries one.

OTL development, using VPN to grab a license token from the office.

it works well with H11 (and H12?)

read in the forums seems to work ok. Initial problems with OSX Lion appear
to be solved as well.

release and/or Houdini release to make sure that they work well together?
Opinions?