[Sidefx-houdini-list] extracting points from locators

Rangi Sutton rangi at kanuka.com.au
Tue Aug 9 20:34:34 EDT 2011

Sean's suggestion is the way to go I'd reckon. Wild cards in object merge
make using FBX files bearable... Before hearing about that I had python
traversing trees type ugliness...

Do a test.. whack down some null objects, move em around. Add a new object,
inside it put an object merge with /obj/null*/point1 as the "Object 1".
You'll get a few points at the origin... since the transform is at object
level.

Toggle Transform to "Into This Object" and the points will now be in their
world space position.

So that'll work if the transform is on the object or the geometry at sop
space.

For your real scenario you'll obviously want to construct a path with
wildcards that suits your fbx import.

Also.. when importing the fbx file ticking off "Import Null Nodes as
Subnets" in the import dialog might give you a more manageable scene
heirachy.. or not!

Cheers,
r.

On 10 August 2011 05:34, zoran arizanovic <zoran.arizanovic at gmail.com>wrote:

> thanks sean
> yep i will try that
> as they are in
> but transform is on sop level and not in point added
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Sean Lewkiw
> <Sean.Lewkiw at cis-vancouver.com>wrote:
>
> > You can probably do this with an object merge SOP and wildcards to find
> the
> > single points (add) sops in each locator.
> >
> > Sean

Rangi Sutton                             Kanuka Studio Pty Ltd
rangi at kanuka.com.au               http://www.kanuka.com.au/
Studio +61 (0)7 3139 1040         35 Dover St. Albion
Mobile +61 (0)4 1521 1280         QLD 4010 Australia