[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mixing sss and refraction. Ouch.

Christopher Stewart stonesoupdigital at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 13:07:03 EDT 2011

Well, that'll learn me.

In a rush to get a bit of my "learning Houdini" project out for
SIGGRAPH,  I plugged in everything and just hit "go". Assuming that,
if I waited long enough, brute CPU power would get me the frames I
needed. Alas, it was not to be so.

http://www.vimeo.com/27492063

When the pasta hits the water, all progress ceases. Electrons stopped
spinning, the birds hang motionless in mid-air. Well, the render
didn't go any further anyway.

I could still get a preview render to kick out a visual, but any sort
of final just never stopped rendering. Turning off SSS cleared up the
issue.

Any suggestions to get around this? I'll be involving the pasta with
more refractive fluids later in the sequence. I was also considering
making the pot glass and taking a stab at pasta swirling in the
boiling water...

Thanks!

Christopher

ps. cv/reel at stonesoupdigital.com. I'm on the lookout for an entry