[Sidefx-houdini-list] pcfilter point number

Nick van Zutphen nvanzutphen at live.com
Wed Aug 3 12:06:11 EDT 2011

Hi!

I finally figured out how this maillist thing works :-), at least I hope so. It feels a bit like 'you're used to Internet, and you have to use 'the wire', telex or how ever it's called in English' ;-).

I'm working on a tool which operates on scattered points and it needs a starting point. I would like to give the user the ability to specify a position vector and the tool will figure out what the closest point is. This becomes need when you would like to start in a certain area and the points might change due to a different seed or what so ever.

I think of a pointcloud method, however I'm interested in the closest point pointnumber. I know pciterate has the option point.number but that doesn't seem to work on pcfilter and ptnum doesn't give any luck either. I would like to use pcfilter since it's about a single point and iterating over 1 point doesn't seem to make much sense.

So my question is: 'Is there a way to get the point number when using pcfilter. If not, what's the alternative?'

Cheers!
Nick van Zutphen