[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDRI rat file manipulation in COPS?

Szymon Kapeniak szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:44:45 EDT 2011

2011/8/3 Floyd Gillis <floyd at afcg.com>:
> Hi Szymon,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I have been outputting all the deep rasters... setting "Plane Scope" in the
> rop_comp to "*" or "Right Left Top Bottom Front Back".

sorry, that was dumb suggestion although I was caught in that ambush
once while scripting some command line post process action on a farm.
My deep rasters were disappearing magically during basic gamma
correction...

> Another issue that's come up is that some COPS seem to process the HDRI and
> other don't.  For example: bright, contrast, and gamma do what's expected
> whereas color correct, hsv, and mono don't seem to do anything.

Well, another dumb suggestion: don't nodes proceed planes in respect
to plane scope on the Mask Tab? Seems like Color Correct doesn't have
"*" by default while Bright does.

> I'll forward this to support as well.  (Houdini 11.0.810 on Linux)

I don't have an access to newer Houdini at the moment, but I've just
manipulated hdr image from $HH/pic in ancient COPs 9.5,  re-saved and
used in rendering. All fine.

cheer,
skk.

> Cheers,
>
> Floyd
>

> On 03/08/2011 2:41 AM, Szymon Kapeniak wrote:
>>
>> Are you sure, you're exporting all deep raster from a *.rat file after
>> processing? If I recall correctly, rop_comp by default exports only
>> C+A, stripping off all other channels. This would break hdri, since
>> C+A are back/white in this case, and the actual hdri is stored in a
>> front/left/right/etc planes.
>>
>> 2011/8/2 Floyd Gillis<floyd at afcg.com>:
>>>
>>> Am wondering if there's a way to manipulate (brighten, mono, chroma
>>> shift,
>>> etc.) an hdri rat file (like the ones included with Houdini) using COPS?
>>>
>>> Have tried different settings and COPS seems to be doing something and
>>> the
>>> new rat files seem to be the right size... but they no longer appear to
>>> contribute to lighting in the render.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Floyd