[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering Solutions... Any suggestions

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Thu Apr 28 14:42:57 EDT 2011

You can generate a dependency tree from a ROP network using:

render -p -I -f <start_fr> <end_fr>  <output_rop>

-p will print the results instead of rendering

-I will process all of frame 1 first, then frame 2, etc. instead of the
entire range of each ROP at once

-f specifies the frame range.

The output is in the format:

<renderid> [ <dependencies> ]  <ROPname>  <frame>

So, for a ROP named out, which depends on A and B (its inputs),
rendering frames 1 and 2 would look like:

1 [ ] A         1
2 [ ] B         1
3 [ 1 2 ] out   1
4 [ ] A         2
5 [ ] B         2
6 [ 4 5 ] out   2

So, render job 3 is rendering 'out' at frame 1, but is dependent on
render jobs 1 and 2.

By default each frame depends on the corresponding frame number in the
inputs, but special ROPs such as Batch and Frame Dependency can alter
the frames that an output frame is dependent on. The Frame Container ROP
can restrict these frame dependency alterations, and the Pre Post ROP
can execute pre and post render ROPs, similar to using the pre and post
render scripts.

Cheers,
M.